Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Zucchini Stew

Ok, when you look at the title you think, "what the heck is Jen doing?"
This is really a chicken stew that I made with leftover zucchini that turned out really well.

What is in it:

1 lb chicken thighs
1 lb shredded zucchini
3 medium sized carrots diced
2 large potatoes diced
1/2 lg white onion diced
1 can of stewed tomatoes
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp season salt

Because our friend gave us so much zucchini I have been loosing ideas and ways to use it. Zucchini has lots of moisture in it so when you over cook it, the zucchini turns to mush and adds bulk to the stew. You really can't taste the flavor of the zucchini in this stew so if you do want more of the zucchini flavor wait about an hour before serving and dice up some more and throw it in your crockpot. I just threw all of the ingredients into the crock pot and let it cook for about five hours. You shouldn't need to add water. You may want to add a slurry (four and water mixture, same as what you do to make a gravy) at the end to thicken the broth up. I put in the vinegar because it needed more of the savory flavor and we didn't have any red wine because I am alcohol free.

Later on I'll post some pictures of the stew for everyone to see :)

1 comment:

dannyscotland said...

I am so not a cook...I envy people like you who can just throw stuff together and it comes out great! Go you!