Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Homeless

For all of you that do not know this yet: right now at this moment we are homeless and living out of hotels.
Why am I doing this? We figured that it would save us money to stay in hotels until we found a place to live. We have put offers on a couple of places and we have not heard back yet. The past few weeks we have been traveling so often that we would not even stay in the same place for over a week so right now we are living in hotels. It only makes sense in my head to live out of hotels and save the money that we would put on a down payment in the mean time.
We still have a house in California but we are renting it out at the moment.

Why being homeless is a struggle:
I have two kids that need to get out and play. Some times I feel cooped up. Then I need to google a park and then it's about nap time anyways.
There is only one main aria and our walls are thin, so when it's time to sleep it's quite time! The drunks by the pool do not understand this concept at any time: day or night, they cannot control the volume of their voices.
I am the one that does laundry. I have to go out to a laundromat to get all of the laundry done. Most of the time my diapers need to go through the wash more than once to get the stink out.
Eating out. I'm sick of it. We have a crock pot and I am tempted to go out and buy a small microwave so we can cook simple meals.
I drive more to get out and away from the small room. Gas prices are at four stinking dollars a gallon. When I go out and drive it seems like there is a weather storm following me. Two weeks ago it was a wind storm with tornado and fire warnings, this week it was heavy rain, rain so hard it got dark outside, then some dime size hail, and then on the fence that I was diving past lighting struck! That got my adrenalin going! Holy cow the weather is crazy out here!
We own a dog. Most hotels do not allow dogs. Picture me, yelling at both of my kids not to run in the road and trying to walk a dog.
The last thing that makes it hard being homeless and living in a hotel: My business that I am building up. The address that I have is a UPS Box. Other than that I do not have a permanent address. I need to spend money to make it because I am in retail. It's hard to rebuild my inventory when I don't have a definite place to ship to and the only place to store the stuff is in a storage unit or in your car. This is why you are not seeing 20 items in my ebay store. Everything that I have in my store are things that I have in my hotel room. Because of this, it makes it hard to do any kind of special order when a customer request one. Half of the time I have everything that they'll want, it's just that some of the stuff that they want is in storage, so the order is never made.

We have this room booked for a week. My hubby flies out on Friday for a business trip and it's just me and the kids in the dinky hotel room for a few days. I know I am not the first person that has lived out of a hotel. I know many people that have lived out of a hotel for months for one reason or another. I just need to keep on telling myself that it's not forever and that we are saving money each and every day that we stay in the hotel.

1 comment:

dannyscotland said...

I am a teacher by profession and we always have children who live in hotels or motels because their families don't have the means to buy a house. I know it's such a pain in the neck right now, but you're right, it's not permanent for you, and in that you are so very lucky. Hearing all the stuff you have to put up with reminds me, too, how lucky I am to be in a house.