Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Teaching Texas to Count

My husband told Texas that if he could count to 20 with out any help he could have desert for dinner. He can do it if he's looking at numbers and I point to each number. He figured out how to count to ten by the time he was about two. His little sister can count to 20 (but she can't read the numbers) so we thought it would be fair that Texas learns how to count.
I feel like Texas is delayed scholastically because he doesn't show an interest in numbers or letters. He only knows how to write "Tex" out for his name. Most of the time when he makes me a card it's a bunch of "i"'s, "o"'s, "m"'s, and "t"'s. He's great at coloring and art. Most 18 month toddlers can not color within the lines, yet Texas could. Texas has always said that "Marilyn draws fire", because she scribbles. Most toddlers scribble. But now that Texas is five I think he should be able to write his name and count to 20.
We did a co opt preschool last year. Texas is the only kid out of the bunch that can't read. Can you figure out what he would do with the worksheets? He would color in the pictures and doodle in the margins. He's not suppose to be rebelling like this until high school!
Does anyone have any pointers for me to help my child learn to read and write?

2 comments:

Alisha said...

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. If he is having fun and enjoying it then, by all means, go for it! But you don't want to make him hate it. Tahirah really didn't want to do anything but once she got into kindergarten her learning exploded. By the end of the year she was at the top of her class. It really doesn't make a difference if children can read early. There is a huge gap in learning abilities in Kindergarten but by the 2nd or 3rd grade the gap closes up and they are all learning at basically the same level. I think the best thing you can do is continue to read to him every day.

dannyscotland said...

I agree with Alisha. I was an elementary school teacher until I stayed home with my daughter, and I would say there's nothing to worry about as long as he is making progress. At some point, he will have to step up to the learning plate, but there's no point "pushing" it too much now when he's not ready. I always suggested to my parents who were concerned with their child's reading to do the following: make reading fun as much as possible, let them see you reading and enjoying it, and allow them to read anything they are interested in including things like comic books. Often parents think they should only be reading BOOK books, but any reading is reading. I know these are tips more for older kids, but maybe they can still be applied to your Kindergarten age son. Just keep exposing him to letters and numbers as often as possible, and he'll pick it up. If by next summer he hasn't made any progress or isn't reading at all, then you might have something to start worrying about, but for now, I think he's okay.