Saturday, July 2, 2011

Business Trips

My husband is out of town again. He goes out of town often and doesn't like me to tell people because he doesn't want the world to know that I am home alone.
I know it's nothing new that he's out of town. The thing is that I don't know a lot of people out here and people don't really know my schedule. It's boring and lonesome. I know this is the guy that I married. Normally I would only see him on the weekends. It's been different lately. Now it's more of him leaving on the weekends and me seeing him one night every other week. So I see him maybe one day out of two weeks.
Why am I pointing this out? I am pointing this out because I am jealous of all of the families that have their husbands deployed and have a support group. I don't have that and I never will have some nice support group that I can run too when I'm having a hard time. I think I see my husband a smaller percentage of the time than military families. Yes, I see my husband about 40 days out of the year, every year. Most of those days are on holidays. I'm jealous that they give the military time to call their family often. Once they get home, they can stay home as long as they want. He would be less likely to be killed in war. I worry that he'll get in a car accident with all of his driving.
I miss all my California friends that knew my schedule. I thrive on playdates. I realized before The kids were doing four playdates a week. Those things were keeping my sanity.
He's been gone for a week and now I am counting down until next week when I get to see him again and send him off again.

2 comments:

dannyscotland said...

That's pretty rough. Only one discrepancy is that they don't get to come home as long as they want. My friend's husband is navy and when he gets home, he often has duty, then they have trial things out at sea, and even if he's not technically "deployed" he's often not home. Plus, he can do an 8 month deployment, come home for a month and be gone again for 8 or 9 months. Neither way is easy. Maybe your husband will be able to adjust his schedule soon so that you can see him more often. I can't imagine. It's like being a single parent. I bet the kids miss him, too. Hang in there.

Jen said...

My husband has been to Iraq. They choose to reenlist. If my husband reenlisted he would go out for 12 or 18 months.
I guess it's good that my kids don't know any different. I wear my wedding ring but for some reason some guys think I'm single and have been inviting me to dinner or to the bar. Um, I don't drink and I really don't even want to talk to those loosers. Ugh, it's stressful. Sometimes I just want him around as arm candy.