Friday, October 7, 2011

Musubi

I love this Hawaiian favorite. I have people asking how to make it so here it goes.

Look how yummy and delicious it looks!


This is what you'll need:
Sticky rice
Nori: The seaweed on the outside
Spam- save the can
Furikake: The rice seasoning
Optional:
Teriaki sauce
A squirt bottle with water
Scissors
A rice cooker

Here's what you do:

First make the sticky rice. It doesn't matter to everyone what kind of rice you use. The trick to make sticky rice is to rinse it well. Rinse it until the water comes out clear. I don't use a colander, I pour water in the dish that I'm going to cook in, stir it with my hand and then dump out the foggy water.
I do not measure my rice with a measuring cup. I know people that do. The way that I measure is by sticking my finger in the water and the rice, the rice should hit the first knuckle and the water hits the second knuckle. I use a rice cooker so I can just walk away from the and not worry about it burning.

Shake the spam out of the can. I slice my spam so it's in the same shape of the top of the can. Grill it in a frying pan. Some people put teriaki sauce on the spam but I think the spam it too salty to add something even more salty in addition.

Slice the nori into 1/4 sheet strips. I use scissors to cut mine into strips.

Get a bowl and mix some furikake with your rice. If your rice is sticking to everything the trick is to use water. Have a squirt bottle of water on hand.

Use your Spam can as a mold. Spray the can that you are using for a mold with a mist of water to prevent sticking and then press the rice in until it's firm.

In this order, lay the nori down, then place the spam in the middle of the nori, then shake the rice out on top of the spam. Then take both ends of the nori and wrap up the rice and spam. Flip over your creation and now you have some musubi. Nom Nom Nom!

I love to wrap up musubi in cellophane and take it as a snack <3 It's good eating!

No comments: